The Seine River Teachers’ Association is seeking interested Members to fill the vacancy of Workplace Safety and Health Chair for the school years 2017-18 and 2018-19.
Information about the position:
- The SRTA Executive meets six times a year – a half-day in September (same day as SRTA Council Orientation), four evenings through the year (usually Tuesdays, starting at 4:30 in Lorette) and one full-day in June (Executive training). We cover subs for September and June. We provide meals for all meetings, as well as cover mileage costs and dependent care costs.
- The SRTA Council meets five times a year – a half-day in September (coinciding with the first executive meeting) and four evenings through the year (usually Tuesdays, starting at 4:30 in St. Norbert). We provide meals for all meetings, as well as cover mileage costs and dependent care costs.
- The Workplace Safety and Health Chair has the following responsibilities:
- act as co-chair to the divisional Workplace Safety and Health committee
- assist workers and the employer to identify, record, examine, evaluate and resolve safety and health concerns in the workplace;
- develop practical procedures and conditions to help achieve the highest possible degree of safety and health in the workplace; and
- promote education and training programs to develop detailed knowledge of safety and health concerns and responsibilities in each individual in the workplace;
- attend and participate in all SRSD Workplace Safety and Health meetings;
- report any concerns to the Executive.
- There are two provincial seminars put on by MTS that the WSH chair is invited to attend. Both are on Saturdays, one in November and one in February. Mileage and dependent care costs are covered, and a meal is provided.
- The SRSD WSH policy is currently being reviewed. The SRTA is an active participant in the review process. Any new documentation will be forwarded on to us as it is implemented by the Division.
In terms of process, names of potential appointees for WSH chair will be forwarded on to the SRTA Executive, who will make the decision to appoint the chair for 2017-2019.
If you want to put your name forward for consideration, or have any other questions, please email SRTA President Jonathan Waite at email@example.com. This call for appointees ends Friday, May 19, 2017.